Planning for Uncertainty and Discovery: The Agi...

Types of Knowledge Gaps

When I talk to general audiences about the Rapid Learning Cycles framework, I often tell people that they can think of it as 'Agile for Hardware."   

Program managers who have been trained in Agile development can often spot things in the framework that look and feel famliar to them.

That's no accident. Scrum is the best-known of the Agile methods, with a comprehensive set of practices and well-designed training programs to teach them.  At a key point in the development of the Rapid Learning Cycles framework, a team in an Advanced R & D Lab asked me for help in adapting Scrum to fit their work.  I invited Kathy Iberle, an Agile software expert, to do the project with me. This group went on to become one of the first four to implement the Rapid Learning Cycles framework, and many of the adaptations I describe in this week's Knowledge Brief had their beginnings in that project to adapt Scrum to a team that was doing nothing like software development.

Key Takeaways

• Agile is not sufficient for programs with high cost-of-change and complex dependency chains, yet Agile’s tools become necessary in environments with high uncertainty.
  • Rapid Learning Cycles adapts Agile’s tools to help teams make better decisions when those decisions must stick — but the work inside a Learning Cycle is much different.
  • Agile Software Development integrates well with the Rapid Learning Cycles framework because the foundations are well-aligned.

Planning for Uncertainty and Discovery: The Agile Roots of the Rapid Learning Cycles Framework

Agile-Roots-RLC-Letter.pdf

Agile-Roots-RLC-Tabloid.pdf

Read this Knowledge Brief as a LinkedIn Article:

Planning for Uncertainty and Discovery

This Knowledge Brief may be freely distributed without modifications in its original PDF form, including all authorship, copyright and contact information. Other uses require our explicit permission.

posted Aug 17, 4:43 pm (92 days ago)