Rapid Learning Cycles Throughout the Enterprise...

Types of Knowledge Gaps

Last week, I described how we used Rapid Learning Cycles to update our web site, and why that led to some other important insights about our business.

Since then, some of you have written to me about other uses for Rapid Learning Cycles, to support strategic deployments, culture change programs and IT software platform evaluations.

So I started to wonder, "When would I want to use RLCs, and where would I not need it?"  The 2 x 2 matrix on the left was the result.

I've been writing for awhile that "just use Agile" isn't enough for hardware programs because of the high cost of change, and that traditional project management breaks down in environments of high uncertainty. The matrix pulled all of that together, clarifying when to use Rapid Learning Cycles, when to use Agile, and when to use traditional project management tools, such as complex Gantt charts.

This week's Knowledge Brief describes this model, and outlines some situations where Rapid Learning Cycles could be used outside of product development to get better results for a program that has high uncertainty and high cost of change.

Key Takeaways

• Rapid Learning Cycles can help any program that has high uncertainty and high cost of change, because those are the conditions where the RLC framework was developed.
      • Agile Software Development breaks down in environments of high cost of change.
      • Traditional Project Management breaks down in environments of high uncertainty.
      • While uncertainty and cost of change can be decreased, they can’t be eliminated.

Rapid Learning Cycles Throughout the Enterprise: Rapid Learning for Any High Uncertainty / High Cost of Change Program

Where-Else-RLCs-Letter.pdf

Where-Else-RLCs-Tabloid.pdf 

This Knowledge Brief may be freely distributed without modifications in its original PDF form, including all authorship, copyright and contact information. Other uses require our explicit permission.

posted Aug 2, 2:51 pm (498 days ago)